Become an Inspirational Coach with a Master's Degree in Athletic Coaching
If you are looking to inspire, teach and mentor athletes while building both their skills and character, our unique 30-credit Master of Education in athletic coaching — offered fully online — is designed for you.
The program's fully online format offers flexibility for working professionals with busy schedules, especially teachers and those already coaching sports teams. For Pennsylvania teachers, this affordable graduate program will fulfill the 24 post-baccalaureate credits needed for your Instructional II certificate.
Our Master of Education in athletic coaching degree is framed by the National Standards for Sports Coaches, established by the Society of Health and Physical Educators. These standards are expected by school and university administrators, athletes, parents and the public nationwide.
M.Ed. in Athletic Coaching Course Offerings
Courses in the M.Ed. in athletic coaching graduate program are based on the latest research in the field and illustrate what effective coaches should know, value and be able to do with athletes of all ages.
These courses include:
- The Art and Science of Athletic Coaching
- Safety and Physical Conditioning of Athletes I and II
- Sports Psychology
- Diversity and Ethical Responsibility in Coaching
- Administration and Financial Responsibilities of Coaching
- Communication Skills for Athletic Coaches
- Research: Contemporary Theory to Current Practice
- Supervision and Evaluation of Athletes
- Application-Based Practicum in the Field (Build/Enhance Your Portfolio)
Coaching as Both a Science and an Art
By approaching coaching as both a science and an art, the overall goal of the M.Ed. program is to instill a model of coaching that emphasizes teaching, mentoring and skill building.
Upon completion of the program, you will have the following knowledge and skills to be an effective athletic coach.
- Develop and implement a personal philosophy that builds on an athlete-centered approach to coaching.
- Become a skilled, knowledgeable and ethical coach of athletes of all ages and in all sports.
- Gain an understanding of how athletes develop physically, emotionally and psychologically.
- Acquire the knowledge and expertise to administer a coaching program at any level.
- Demonstrate the ability to build athletes' skills, confidence and decision-making abilities.
- Learn to communicate clearly and effectively with athletes, staff, stakeholders, community members and the news media.
- Teach safety and emergency procedures for the protection of athletes
- Use research to drive practical applications in the support and development of athletes' skills.
Career Opportunities in Athletic Coaching
According to the National Bureau of Labor Statistics, athletic coaching is a field growing nationally, as well as locally, with recent surveys indicating that approximately 10,000 coaches and scouts are employed in western Pennsylvania.
Graduates with a Master of Education in athletic coaching will be prepared for coaching opportunities in various settings including:
- K-12 public or private schools
- Colleges and universities
- Club and travel sports programs
- Professional sports teams
Courses in our M.Ed. in athletic coaching graduate program are taught by faculty who have years of real-world experience in coaching, teaching, physical education, sports psychology and educational administration.
For details on Point Park University tuition and fees for 2017-18, please visit our tuition and fees page.